We all need a little pick me up from time to time, whether last weekend is taking its toll, or you’ve been struck down by flu or your simply feeling a little lethargic, Biocol Labs have the plant-based, doctor approved solutions focused on the needs of modern life to get you back feeling your best.
We all love a glass of wine (or two), but we know little about the actual damage we do to our liver when drinking. This might express itself in a hangover but most people don’t know what actually happens in the liver.
So here’s the lowdown:
Alcohol is a toxin which is filtered by the liver. The moment you swallow your first sip, parts of the alcohol are going straight into your brain through the stomach. The remains are absorbed by the small bowel. Once in the bloodstream, the alcohol travels to the liver where it “queues” to be broken down. Each person’s ability to break down alcohol is different (depending on many factors such as food eaten, body fat, fullness of stomach etc). If you drink too much in comparison to what your liver can process the alcohol travels through the body and alcohol levels in your bloodstream increases and you will start feeling tipsy/ drunk.
Once the alcohol reaches the liver it is converted to acetaldehyde through the enzymes alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and NAD+ (a co-enzym of niacin (vitamin b3)). Acetaldehyde is super toxic for the body and needs further processing through the enzyme ALDH.
Acetaldehyde is associated with severe liver damage and has even been found to alter DNA in our cells.
Interesting fact: not all alcohol is removed through the liver, alcohol also is excreted through breath, sweat and urine. That’s why you can always smell if someone has been drinking.
So show your liver some love. This nifty product contains a purifying blend of ingredients such as chicory, artichoke and choline, which contributes to the maintenance of a normal liver function and supports the detoxification and elimination of additives, food excesses and pollution effects.
Milkthistle: backed by several studies and used by many cultures for centuries. The active ingredients of milk thistle is called silymarin. It has shown to protect the liver from the free radical damage produced by alcohol metabolism. It also boosts glutathione levels, an antioxidant produced in the liver and attacks free radicals such as alcohol.
One of the active compounds in artichoke is cynarin. It has been shown to stimulate the production of bile, produced by the liver which is responsible for enabling digestion and helping with the absorption of nutrients. It was also shown that artichoke, similar to milk thistle, is an anti-oxidant powerhouse and supports the liver cell regeneration.
Effects you might feel the day after:
· Less nauseous
· Clearer head
· Happier liver
Perfect for tummies on the go. This is great for long-haul flights. Due to the altitude, gases expand naturally in the body and you might feel bloated when you arrive or even during the flight. Another great way how they fit into your life is when you travel to new places. Even though you might eat the same or similar food, you might notice that your tummy and digestion feel different. Your gut bacteria loves habits, so when you travel, eating and food habits change and you gut reacts with “problems”. You might encounter problems like constipation or bloating etc.
Something for bloated tums contains a mix of ingredients which target all areas of digestion, from your stomach to the intestines.
· Papain and Bromelain: Enzymes derived from Papaya and Pineapple respectively and are known for supporting the break down of food.
· Acacia fiber gum: a prebiotic fiber which increases bowel movement and stimulates digestion. Ours is coming from North Africa, the Acacia Gum Belt, and has been used there for centuries to treat digestive discomfort. It has a prebiotic effect by increasing healthy bacteria within the microbiota.
· Activated Charcoal: coming from burnt coconut shells, food grade activated charcoal travels through your gastrointestinal tract absorbing toxins and impurities as it goes.
Perfect for those suffering from low energy, lack of concentration, and extreme fatigue.
Something for the knackered can be taken as 1 shot (1 ampoule) or as a treatment over 5 days.
· Panax Ginseng: An adaptogen with anti-stress, anti-fatigue and brain improvement action. Helps to increases concentration and boosts energy levels.
· Vitamin C: Key nutrient needed by the body to better absorb iron. Also associated to help fight fatigue.
· Magnesium: Essential for the intracellular electrolyte rebalance. Contributes to a normal energy-producing metabolism.
TIP: This ones great for mums!
Need a little something else? Biocol Labs have a range of remedies available, to find out more visit our shop page for all Biocol Labs products available online and in studios!