Cheesy, healthy and crowd pleasing, this recipe from the Hemsley sisters is a hit for veggies and omnivores alike. The twist? It uses the sister’s signature courgette rather than pasta and protein rich cannelloni beans.
3 large courgettes
FOR THE ‘BÉCHAMEL’SAUCE
80g Parmesan or pecorino, finely grated, plus extra for sprinkling
FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE
1 x 400g tin of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 garlic cloves
120g sundried tomatoes (about 20 pieces) in oil, drained
3 tablespoons tomato purée
A pinch of sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1. Add the ingredients for the ‘béchamel’ sauce to a food processor and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
2. Add the ingredients for the tomato sauce to the food processor (no need to clean out the bowl) and blend until smooth.
3. Using a mandolin or very sharp knife, finely slice the courgettes lengthways into 3mm-thick pieces.
4. Preheat the oven to fan 180°C/Gasmark 6. Spread about half the tomato sauce over the bottom of a 16cmx 22cm ovenproof dish which is at least 8cm deep, as a thin layer. Top with about a third of the courgette slices in an even layer. Cover the courgettes with about half the ‘béchamel’ sauce, then top with half the remaining courgettes in an even layer.
5. Repeat the layering with the remaining tomato sauce, courgettes and ‘béchamel’, then sprinkle over a final layer of Parmesan to finish.
6. Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and leave to stand for 5–10 minutes before serving.
Have you got your hands on a copy of the Hemsley sisters’ eagerly awaited second book yet? If not, and you like the look of this recipe, you are gonna LOVE Good + Simple. Just like their first book it is packed with unbelievably delicious and nutritious recipes. And as the title implies, all 140 are super simple.